This is the best salad I’ve ever eaten and I make it all the time. It is tangy from the blue cheese, fruity from the pears, and crunchy from the caramelized pecans. The mustard vinaigrette pulls it all together.
- 1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 pears – peeled, cored and chopped
- 5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup pecans
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Step 1
In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper.
In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.
Per Serving: 426 calories; protein 8g; carbohydrates 33.1g; fat 31.6g; cholesterol 21.3mg; sodium 654mg.