This quick and easy vegan pumpkin black bean soup is filled with veggies. Convenient canned pumpkin, beans and coconut milk flavored with curry make it a hearty fall meal.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans unsalted black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unseasoned canned pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk (well shaken), divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 tablespoons roasted unsalted pepitas
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and poblanos; cook until the poblanos start to brown and blister, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic, curry paste and coriander; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, black beans, tomatoes, pumpkin and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium to maintain a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Reserve 6 tablespoons coconut milk for serving. Pour the remaining coconut milk into the soup. Return to a simmer; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Ladle the soup into 6 bowls and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon of the reserved coconut milk. Sprinkle with cilantro and pepitas.
To make ahead
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups Per Serving: 178 calories; fat 9g; sodium 426mg; carbohydrates 21g; dietary fiber 6g; protein 4g; sugars 8g; niacin equivalents 1mg; saturated fat 4g; vitamin a iu 5258IU; potassium 306mg.