Loaded with roasted sweet potatoes and shallots, black beans, quinoa, feta and pepitas, this salad makes for a satisfying meatless meal. Not only does massaging the kale tenderize it, it also helps the greens absorb more of the bright dressing.
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 medium shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1 pound kale, stemmed and torn
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup unsalted pepitas, toasted
- Step 1
Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
Toss sweet potato with 1 tablespoon oil, chile powder and 1/8 teaspoon salt on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss shallots with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt on another large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables, flipping once, until tender and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic with the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add kale and massage with the dressing until bright green and shiny and the volume is reduced by about half. Add beans, quinoa, feta, pepitas and the shallots. Toss to combine and serve topped with the sweet potato.
Serving Size: 2 ½ cups Per Serving: 588 calories; fat 30g; cholesterol 17mg; sodium 691mg; carbohydrates 64g; dietary fiber 14g; protein 21g; sugars 12g; niacin equivalents 2mg; saturated fat 7g; vitamin a iu 18462IU; vitamin b6 1mg; potassium 1204mg.