I have been making this chili recipe since I got married, almost 52 years ago. It makes a HUGE pot, but I use the leftovers for my Chili-Frito Casserole (recipe is on Just-A-Pinch). I do not use red pepper flakes or cayenne as I do not like spicy.
- 2 lblean ground beef
- 2 conion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cgreen bell pepper, chopped
- 2 can(28 oz) diced tomatoes (i used one can diced, one can crushed)
- 4 ccooked kidney beans
- 2 can(8 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tspsalt
- 2-4 tspchili powder (or to taste)
- 2bay leaves
- ·optional: red pepper flakes or cayenne, to taste
- ·chopped onion, grated cheese
How to Make Homemade Chili
- In large pan, cook meat and vegetables until meat is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (including red pepper flakes or cayenne, if using), except beans, and simmer for at least 1 hour. Add beans and continue to simmer about 15 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Garnish with chopped onions and grated cheese. Serve with tortillas or crackers.