Everyone loves these cookies! So light and fluffy, like little cakes! Perfectly spiced and sweetened! One of my all time favorite cookies!
- 3/4 cshortening
- 1 1/2 csugar
- 2 largeeggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tspvanilla
- 1 tspsalt
- 1 tspbaking powder
- 1 tspbaking soda
- 1 3/4 cunsweetened applesauce
- 3 call purpose flour
- 1 tspcinnamon
- 1/2 tspfresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 csugar
- 1 1/2 Tbspcinnamon
- 1 tspfresh grated nutmeg (optional)
How to Make Fluffy Applesauce Cookies
- Cream shortening. Add sugar slowly while beating. Turn off mixer, scrape bowl well. Beat in eggs, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until light and fluffy.
- While beating, add flour and applesauce alternatively. Beat in cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until fully combined and fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 350. Drop by tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven 12-15 minutes, until bottom edges just start to brown.
- For topping, mix sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl. Gently and carefully roll each cookie into topping mixture while cookies are hot. Place on cooling racks to cool completely. Store in a food storage container with a tight fitting lid. After I put all cookies in the container I like to dump the leftover topping over the top of the cookies before putting on the lid. Store at room temperature for up to a week, if they last that long.