Canned beans and tomatoes make this quick vegetarian chili recipe ready to go in just 30 minutes. Serve over rice or couscous, or with tortilla chips for added crunch, and add extra toppings as you see fit–sliced scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado and sliced jalapeños are all tasty choices.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ cup finely chopped white onion
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar or pepper Jack
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add beans, tomatoes (with their juice) and water and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve the chili sprinkled with cheese.
To make ahead: Refrigerate chili (Step 1) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving Size: 1 cup each Per Serving: 311 calories; protein 16.3g; carbohydrates 38.6g; dietary fiber 13.7g; sugars 4.4g; fat 11.1g; saturated fat 3.2g; cholesterol 14.4mg; vitamin a iu 2344.2IU; vitamin c 39.5mg; folate 28.3mcg; calcium 266mg; iron 4.8mg; magnesium 117.3mg; potassium 800.8mg; sodium 433.9mg. Exchanges:
1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat