In this recipe I make two different veggies, a Summer squash and some golden potato chips. They are easy/peasy to make, and a bit of fun also.
Made them as snacks for tonight’s movie night… Hope I made enough.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
- 1/2 lbripe summer squash
- 1/2 lbgolden potatoes
- 2 Tbspwhite vinegar
- 2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin variety
- 1 – 2 pinchsalt, kosher variety, fine grind
How to Make Dehydrator Essentials: Vinegar & Salt Veggie Chips
- You will need a dehydrator to make this recipe and, if you have one, a mandoline to evenly slice the veggies.
- Before dipping the potato slices into the oil vinegar mixture, they must be put into boiling water for 3 – 4 minutes, or you will not like what you get.
They will turn an ugly brown/black.
- Gather your ingredients (mise en place).
- Cut the squash into slices between 1/4 and 1/8 inches thick. Do the same for the potatoes, except just a bit thinner.
- Add the vinegar, oil, and salt to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the squash and evenly coat.
- Remove and place on the drying racks, leave some space between each one.
- After boiling, dump the potatoes into the mixture, evenly coat and place on additional drying racks.
- Set the heat to 140f (60c), and the timer to 5 hours.
- Take out when they are nice and crispy, it might take a bit more time.
- Place in a bowl, sprinkle with a bit of salt, or other spices, and serve while still warm. Enjoy.
- Keep the faith, and keep cooking.