Tossed green salads and spring evenings go hand-in-hand. Ideal for a supper on the porch, this main-dish salad is also delightful served at a brunch or light lunch. The avocado dressing can be made up to two hours in advance. Keep it from turning brown by pressing plastic wrap over its surface and storing it in the refrigerator until you are ready to dress the salad. This homemade salad dressing is delicious and lends itself to a number of different applications. You can use it as a dip for fresh vegetables, a sandwich spread with grilled or fried seafood, or even a taco topping. Drizzle the dressing over the greens right before serving or they will begin to wilt. We love serving shrimp for supper, and we like the look of large shrimp in this recipe. They are less piece-y and a little more impressive on a salad. Don’t overcook the shrimp or they will be rubbery and dry but do cook them just until the outside is crispy.
- 1 pound large peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 large avocado, pitted and halved, divided
- 1 (5-oz.) pkg. mixed baby greens
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber (from 1 [5-oz.] cucumber)
- 2 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- Step 1
Sprinkle shrimp evenly with pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Place eggs in a shallow dish. Place panko in a separate shallow dish. Dredge shrimp in egg, shaking off excess. Dredge shrimp in panko, pressing to adhere. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add shrimp; cook until opaque and crispy, 5 minutes, turning once halfway through cook time. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm.
- Step 2
Process cilantro, 3 tablespoons water, yogurt, lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, half of the avocado, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until smooth, about 15 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Step 3
Cut remaining avocado into cubes. Toss together mixed greens and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl; transfer to a platter. Top with cucumber, radishes, avocado cubes, and shrimp. Drizzle with dressing.