We mashed together peas, fresh mint and lemon zest with breadcrumbs to make small pan-fried cakes perfect for topping a salad.
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided, plus more zest for garnish
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus 1/4 cup leaves
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups mixed greens and/or pea shoots
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- Step 1
Mix snap peas, yogurt, 2 tablespoons feta, dill, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Coarsely mash thawed peas in a medium bowl. Mash and stir in eggs, breadcrumbs, flour, chopped mint, garlic, lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Using 1/4 cup of the pea mixture for each, shape four 3-inch-wide fritters and transfer to the pan. Cook until crispy, adjusting heat if necessary to prevent burning, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the fritters to a paper-towel-lined plate and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Repeat with the remaining pea mixture and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Combine greens (and/or pea shoots), cucumber, radishes and mint leaves in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved sauce and toss to coat. Top the salad with the remaining 1/4 cup feta and the fritters. Serve with the remaining sauce and garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
Serving Size: 2 cups salad, 2 fritters & 2 Tbsp. sauce Per Serving: 413 calories; fat 22g; cholesterol 112mg; sodium 739mg; carbohydrates 37g; dietary fiber 7g; protein 18g; sugars 8g; niacin equivalents 4mg; saturated fat 6g; vitamin a iu 4553IU.