Start your prep work in the afternoon and this slow-cooker chowder will be ready to serve for dinner. Topped with broccoli and shredded cheddar–and full of potatoes, carrots and ham–it’s a meal the whole family will enjoy.
- 12 ounces tiny yellow potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk (1 1/2 cups)
- ½ cup diced cooked lean ham
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely shredded (1 cup)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
- Step 1
In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes and onion (see Tip). Pour broth over vegetables.
Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours.
In a medium bowl, combine cornstarch, dried thyme and pepper. Whisk in evaporated milk. Stir the cornstarch mixture, ham and carrots into the cooker. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more, stirring the soup occasionally. Serve soup topped with broccoli, cheese and fresh thyme.
Tip: For easy cleanup, line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup Per Serving: 172 calories; protein 11.4g; carbohydrates 27.2g; dietary fiber 2.7g; sugars 9.6g; fat 2.2g; saturated fat 1.2g; cholesterol 12.5mg; vitamin a iu 3446.8IU; vitamin c 28.8mg; folate 33.2mcg; calcium 228.5mg; iron 1.2mg; magnesium 41mg; potassium 653.4mg; sodium 566.2mg. Exchanges:
1 starch, 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 milk, 1/2 vegetable