Brewed coffee enhances the rich, fudgy chocolate flavor in this easy dump cake, while cherries add a hint of tartness. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 16 ounces frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- 3 tablespoons cherry preserves
- 1 (16 ounce) box organic chocolate cake mix (see Tip)
- ½ cup reduced-fat milk
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add cherries and preserves to the dish; gently stir to combine and spread in an even layer.
Whisk cake mix, milk, coffee and butter in a medium bowl until completely combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the batter over the cherry mixture in the dish.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake is firm to the touch, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes, or let cool completely, about 40 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, before serving.
Find organic cake mix, including brands like Miss Jones Baking Co., Annie’s or Bob’s Red Mill, at well-stocked grocery stores.
Serving Size: 1 slice Per Serving: 286 calories; fat 11g; cholesterol 21mg; sodium 272mg; carbohydrates 44g; dietary fiber 1g; protein 3g; sugars 29g; saturated fat 7g; vitamin a iu 310IU; potassium 311mg.